Fried green tomatoes are one of my favorite breakfast dishes. I rarely have them because green tomatoes are hard to find reasonably priced in the city. I lucked up and found them at the fresh market about 2 weeks ago. Yes, this city girl knows how to cook some southern style fried green tomatoes.
I found the firmest, greenest ones I could find because I knew I would not be cooking them right away. Well, they lasted the two weeks and I decided to cook them this morning.
When you are picking your green tomatoes from the grocer the firmness level is up to you. For frying, some people prefer to get green tomatoes that are firm, not hard and in full size. Pick ones that are big, firm with skin that is tight. Other people have a preference of picking the tomatoes that show a few spots of slight blush ripeness. If you pick the ones that are slightly ripe, be sure to cook them immediately because they will ripen to red quickly in your refrigerator.Southern fried green tomatoes are perfect for a Sunday brunch. #recipes #southerncooking Click To Tweet
Be sure to follow me on Instagram for more inspiration.
Southern Fried Green Tomatoes
4-5 medium, firm green tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon of water
- 2 beaten eggs
- 2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sprinkle of sugar Optional
- First I washed the tomatoes and cut the tops and bottoms off.
- I beat two eggs in a bowl and added a teaspoon of water.
- Next I cut each tomato in thin slices and seasoned to taste with seasoning salt and pepper.
- Next, I dipped each tomato in the egg mixture and then coated in bread crumbs.
- Finally I fried each side in a deep skillet of canola oil. (Add oil as needed to prevent scorching).*A cast iron skillet works perfect but is not necessary
- Sprinkle with sugar and serve with turkey bacon.**The sugar makes the flavor of tomato pop!