We are always rushing in my house, but on Saturday and Sunday morning we generally take a seat and enjoy a nice breakfast together. Lately I’ve been gearing the family up to start a more plant based diet, so I’ve been trying new recipes. This Spinach Monterey Jack Breakfast Burrito Recipe is fast, filled with potassium, protein and it’s delicious.
- 1 bushel spinach cut stems
- 1 leaf cilantro finely chopped
- 3 tbsp butter
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 roma tomatoes sliced
- 1/2 cup red onion diced
- 1/4 cup green onion diced
- 1/2 cup Monterey Jack Cheese shredded
- 3 flour toritila shell burrito size
- black pepper
- cayenne pepper
- Wash and chop all your vegetable
- In a bowl whisk the eggs vigorously with garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper until very well combined; let stand at room temperature for 5-7 minutes.
- Heat butter until sizzling over medium-high heat in a large skillet (or spray the skillet with vegetable spray
- Add the red and green onions cook for medium heat about 3 to 5 minutes (do not caramelize)
- Add the spinach by the handful and toss with tongs until it wilts, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside
Finishing the Dish
- Heat tortilla shells according to package directions.
- In another skillet heat 2 tbsp of butter until sizzling, pour in your egg mixture. Scramble the eggs using a combination of stirring and flipping. While the eggs are still moist but solid turn off heat, and scramble until you reach your desired fluffiness (between 15-30 seconds longer)
- Assemble tortilla shell with spinach, egg, sliced tomato, and top with shredded monterey jack cheese and cilantro to taste. Enjoy with your family!
**Hint to increase the portion just double the ingredients!**